"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

Colossians 3:1-4

Friday, November 7, 2014

Burdens

Last Saturday, I was at a retreat with my youth group. Around eight in the evening our leaders gave us gallon Ziploc bags full of rocks. On the bag we wrote our regrets: whatever was lying on our hearts. Then we placed the rocks in our cinch bags, added a couple more handfuls, heaved them onto our backs, and walked outside. The trek I found to be an excellent metaphor to our life as Christians. I’m not sure my leaders meant it this way… but it was perfect anyway. Here is the description, with a couple points added to make the story complete.

 Our life is like a walk up a steep hill in the dark of night. What’s ahead is dark, looming, and unknown, except for a few glimpses here and there. On the left was a steep drop. Some tired of walking and in their sin missed the drop and fell. Sometimes we could stop them before that happened. Other times we had to help them back up, or God himself would. To the right were thick, dark woods, where those who were lost wandered.  Sometimes they would see us on our path, and join us. Others in their sin would see the woods and think their world is better than ours and leave us. Still others would walk in the woods holding Christ’s hands and bring someone to the path. Still upward we trekked, the weight of our sin weighing on our tired backs.  Looking up we’d see the navy sky, dotted with silver stars, and as we are reminded of what is to come our strength and resolve would increase, even while it was drained away. If someone lagged behind, the stronger would help them along. Every so often we would stop, and we would look into His word to remind us of the lies we were carrying around. Once we remembered, we would be able to take the weight off our backs and replace it with His comforting words. Slowly, slowly, we gave up our burden to Him, till the only yoke we had was His, and a light one it was indeed.

      This walk really taught me what it means to give your burdens to Jesus. It taught me that you don’t need to ‘make up’ for your past, that Jesus has made you new so you aren't that person anymore, and you might as well let it go because Jesus has already carried that weight for you, and He wants to give you rest.   


  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 ESV

Becca

1 comment:

  1. That's such a neat example! I love those verses in Matthew:) thanks for sharing!~

    ReplyDelete